Thursday, June 18, 2015

Book Review, Foodie Diaries, and Top Secret Trip Plans

Embla and I both struggled to get up this morning, but somehow we managed to drag ourselves out of bed at 6:30 to get ready for school.

But as I would find out shortly thereafter, she needed her mom to drive to school this morning in order to sign a document. Of course, had I known, I definitely would have slept in, but as it was, I enjoyed the quiet and got some things done.

And if I hadn't stayed home this morning, I wouldn't have found Rachel's driver's license which had been missing since yesterday. It had taken up residence in a shopping bag.

With Erla and Rachel still asleep, I began reading a book that Aunt Rachel bought at Auschwitz-Birkenau. After the first chapter I was hooked. 


It resonates on a vastly deeper scale than most Holocaust reads, because this book is his own story, in his own well-written words. He arrived at Auschwitz-Birkenau in 1944, a place where many didn't live for more than a few weeks, yet he survived. 


His writing is just phenomenal. It has the unique ability to be both thought provoking and heartbreaking, chilling and poignant at the same time. 


These two excerpts in particular really whacked me upside the head this morning.


After we got some of the housework squared away, Rachel and I prepared to go to the Mineraltherme Spa for a few hours. I have been wanting to go back ever since George took us a couple weeks ago. Since today was rainy, we thought it the perfect opportunity.

We pulled up, got out our gear and made our way to the door, umbrellas in hand due to the rain. The appearance of a great number of maintenance guys hanging about should have tipped us off to the fact that the place was closed for renovations.

An employee met us at the door and informed us that they were "Geschlössen" (closed) and would be open again in Sunday. They have been closed since June 6th anyway, but we were still disappointed. We hope to go next week when they are open again.

But the rainy day was made brighter 
when I saw that Lidls store has Werkhosen! Day=made. 




Father, Galen, Sulli, and anyone else, send me your equivalent size in Euro and I'll get you a pair! (Only 11.99€ ) 


The thing about being in a country where the majority of people speak and understand at least a little English is that you become aware of the fact that when you speak English in public, you may be overheard and understood, but not necessarily vice versa. I am getting better at "eavesdropping" and understanding, but still I've got a ways to go. 

But, there is a way to even things out, so to speak, and we have determined that the ultimate "code scrambler" as far as the English language is concerned is Southern Slang and/or English with a Southern Accent. This ensures ain't nobody gonna understand you. You're fixin' for a big ol confusion. 

Aunt Rachel is so charmingly organized.


I don't know why, but at the market today, I was extremely intimidated by the idea of getting a pound and a half of ground beef when I don't even know the correct way to say "pound" in German. 

Aunt Rachel was braver than I and she walked on up to the counter and made use of the good old-fashioned technique known by travelers in a land with a different language, this technique called the "point and hope." She had no sooner begun this, motioning in the direction of the ground beef, when the lady spoke in perfect English: 

"ah yes, the ground beef. Would you like that with just beef or pork and beef mixed?"

She spoke perfect English and when we complimented her on that, she said:
"Aw well thank you! Yes, I lived in Texas for a few years."

Texas? A German living in Texas. The thought makes me giggle. 

We passed through some aisles we've never seen before at Knittels today.


The above is a portion of the sauerkraut aisle.


In the baking aisle, there are many kinds of marzipan and even premade decorations for cakes.




And by the way, this is what mustard (senf) looks like, and it's commonly sold in a toothpaste-like tube. And it is delicious.

Honey aisle!

"The three things I hate the most are chicken, swimming, and....and I can't remember the last thing." -Ellert

Talking about random things like German futbol stars or the American Revolution with Rachel at the stove, me sitting on the kitchen stool and Ellert sitting on the floor is one of my favorite that times we spend together. Rachel and I made a very nice meal tonight along with a GF cake made with lemon and raspberry. 

After enjoying an episode or two of Folye's War, I made preparations for a certain top secret trip. George is taking Embla- well, let's just say, "somewhere"-and I got invited to go along. Yes, of course *I* know where we are going, but I am not at liberty to divulge such information as of yet. So, just as Embla must do, you'll have to wait and see where that location is and what exactly we will be up to. The three of us will leave via train early tomorrow morning and will be staying until Saturday night. 

No comments: