Thursday, June 4, 2015

Travel to Berlin

(published this post this morning. This is the rest of Wednesday, June 3rd.) 

We finally got on the road for Berlin after eating a very late lunch at a Polish McDonalds (and KFC.) Yep, you heard me right. 

(btw, màrkįńgš on the package made it bearable. I got a little chicken wrappy thing, a McZestaw, whatever that is.) ;)

It was a good five hour drive from Poland to Berlin, and all things  considered, it went quite well. We kept occupied with card games, the gaming systems that the kids have known as a DSI, and I wrote on my blog or simply listened to music and watched Poland go by.





The above, is a Polish rest stop. Notice the beautiful church in the background. 

Polish (and yes, American) candy at the stop. Why do I keep seeing my name in various forms in what feels like everywhere? 


Be it known that we all kinda sorta cheered when we went over the line back into Deutschland. 

It's funny how living here for a mere two weeks will make you homesick to be back in good old Germany once again, where at least I can comprehend and speak a little of the language and they use Euros (and not Croner, or Polish Złoty.) :)

As we drove into the city, there was the Berlin Wall, in all its painted and graffitied glory. We drove along it for quite some time. 


Whilst George and Arnheidur were checking into the hostel, Embla, Ellert and I were all so worn out from trotting all over the place and then sitting in the car for five hours that we were in one of those moods where you laugh at anything and everything becomes hilarious.

And that includes this tan I managed to get. When I say I tend to tan easily, this is what I mean. 

(above, I reluctantly show you my hobbit feet in order for you to see the tan.) 

My face got a little of it too, but thankfully I do NOT have a tan line from sunglasses or something. 

Once we were bored of that, and after getting plenty of weird looks from the young people passing by trying to have a romantic twilight walk but instead running into, well, us, we played "would you rather" at Ellert's prompting. 

Soon we were discussing matters of great importance, such as "would you rather have big huge eyes or big huge ears?" or "would you rather have a million dollars or be famous?

By the end of our time together, somehow Embla and I got Ellert to promise we'd get to paint his nails when we got home to Schönaich. Don't ask me how we managed that. But by golly, we are making him keep that promise. We decreed that if he agreed to it, the polish "must be pink, and on all his nails." 

Our lodgings here in Berlin are what I call a fancy-ish hostel. We are in a rather small room with 6 bunks and have a shared bathroom and showers with the others on our floor. 



Can't wait to start exploring tomorrow!

No comments: